Friday, April 20, 2018

The Attachment Continuum

It was actually refreshing to be part of a conversation a few days ago about how to help a mom form an attachment with her twin grand-daughters because she is choosing to take on the gargantuan job of fostering them as their substance-addicted mother heals. It made me remember my many years as an 'attachment-mom' while my bio children were young. Baby-wearing, nursing-on-demand, kangaroo care, child-led sleeping and eating, sequencing, - so many of those strategies that I really so strongly believe in did help me form an undeniable bond with my first born daughter and my son. Attachment parenting works. So, with that in mind, isn't it ironic that I would next welcome into my life a child with a full-blown attachment disorder? Opposite end of the continuum. Way opposite. How much can that rubber band of parenting actually stretch before it snaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment