Monday, March 11, 2013

Shifting Ice

I read a Facebook post from a friend the other day. She and her husband were out taking a walk on the iced-over lake when they heard a big cracking sound. The walk was all-of-a sudden much less peaceful! I feel like that a lot lately. There are big changes coming up for our family, and as the 'ice' attempts to shift itself around, the cracks that appear are kind of scary. One of the big things happening around our place right now is that our oldest child is getting ready to leave the home to be married. She is my baby - my firstborn - and it is hard enough for me to adapt as that baby bird prepares to fly the nest; for her younger, adopted siblings, it is almost impossible. They are not coping well. And as they attempt to deal with that loss by taking ("stealing")  items from her in a primitive attempt to hold on to her, their relationship just gets worse. The cracks are really growing.

It isn't as though Melissa hasn't experienced this behavior from her siblings all along the way. The stealing/hoarding/lying triad has been a very large component of both of her sisters' RAD-related challenges since day one.. and probably like all of you reading this - nothing we have tried has really helped change anything except for the way we look at and manage it all. It just feels harder to deal with right now because not only is it getting worse as the marriage date gets closer, the sibling relationships get even more damaged. I want Melissa's last days at home to be full of happiness and joy as she finishes up this part of her journey, and honestly, part of me feels more than a bit angry that this behavior of her sisters' is getting in the way of the vision I have for this last leg of the journey of my oldest. And the other part of me just feels sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment