Tuesday, March 13, 2018

How Do You Know If Your Child Is Lying?

Answer: Her mouth is open.

 I remember the first time I heard this "joke". Cheyann's respite provider shared it with me one day when I was feeling particularly discouraged about her ongoing inability to be truthful. Miss Goldie knew what she was talking about. She had adopted a young girl with Reactive Attachment Disorder herself and had lots of experience with this particular challenge. Back then I felt like it was a funny exaggeration. Lately - not so much.

Lynn has been on the waitlist for Driver's Ed for almost a year now and her number finally came up. Her first class was yesterday. She came home talking details about the class and I assumed all was good, but today I received the message that she never actually showed up. She SWEARS she was in the room, just in the back where nobody could see her - but not only did she not sign the check- in form, she didn't pick up her folder either, and to top it all off a teacher saw her at a local restaurant in town during Drivers Ed time, but even with all of that information presented, she still maintains her story.

A few hours after chatting with the school team about that situation this morning I received an email from my mom. Over the weekend Lynn told her grandmother that she had never actually received her birthday card with check that MaMa sent her, so a replacement $20 was given. Somehow that missing $20 was cashed last week (when I was on vacation) and so Lynn ended up receiving it twice. The $20 sent by her Aunt for her birthday was also mysteriously 'stolen' from her at school and the $20 I took for myself for spending money for the weekend also mysteriously disappeared from my wallet. Naturally she knows nothing about any of that.

Exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment